Applying to the Master's Program
Applying to the Master's in Math for Secondary Teachers program is a four stage process.
A complete application to the Math TLC includes the following:
- Completed Application Form.
- Two Letters of Recommendation with signed releases (see the Recommendation Form):
- One from a school administrator/principal
- One from a colleague
- Unofficial transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions. To assist in our review, please highlight math and math ed courses.
- Two typed essays—see the writing prompts in the Application Form.
- You may be asked to participate in a brief phone interview as part of the application process.
- Please do not apply to the appropriate Master's program yet. Applying to a graduate program is part of Stage 2.
- To minimize the file size of scanned transcripts, please choose a lower resolution for scans (e.g., 300 dpi) and use a PDF format instead of a jpeg or tiff format.
- For more details, see Master's Application Checklist, the Application Submission Guidelines, or the Frequently Asked Questions.
The Master’s Program in Mathematics for Secondary Mathematics Teachers is being offered jointly by UNC and UW. At UNC, you will be applying for admission to the Master of Arts in Mathematics—Teaching Emphasis. At UW, you will be applying for admission to the Master of Science in Teaching with a Concentration in Secondary Mathematics. You may apply to either program; you will get your degree from the university where you apply for admission.
Note: The university to which you choose to apply will not impact the cost of the program. You will take courses from both UNC and UW and will be paying tuition to the university offering each course.
To apply for admission to the Graduate School, you'll need to:
- Fill out an application for admission to the graduate school for the university of your choice.
- UNC Graduate School link: http://www.unco.edu/grad/
- UW Graduate School link: http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/uwgrad/
- Pay the $50 application fee to the Graduate School..
- Provide official transcripts to the Graduate School, (not necessary if you sent official transcripts in your application to the Math TCL in Stage 1).
- NO other additional materials are needed (i.e., no GRE scores or essays needed).
Once you have been accepted for admission into the Graduate School of your choice, you will be accepted into the next master's cohort and receive an official letter of acceptance into the Math TLC!